Mardi Himal Trek falls on the difficulty of moderate. This is a newer trek compared to the Everest Base Camp Trek but is absolutely stunning. It will surprise you with some of the best views you can have on any trek. This trek lets you experience Nepalese geography in its rawest form. It will take you through some of the most challenging trekking routes in Nepal with breathtaking views of the Himalayas and mountains. You will be passing through rocky terrain, glacial paths, moraines, valleys and much more.
Mardi Himal Trek is one of the best treks in the Annapurna Region. This trek gifts you a mesmerizing view of mountains like Annapurna, Machhapuchhre, Hiunchuli and more. The highest elevation that you will climb is 4500 m. And the highest elevation that you will spend the night is 3580 m.
WHAT MAKES MARDI HIMAL TREK DIFFICULT?
The journey begins with a half an hour drive from Pokhara to Phedi. From Phedi, the trek starts through lush green vegetation and rhododendron trees. This gives you a feeling that every step is taking you away into tranquility.
You will walk about 4 hours or more on a daily basis until you reach the high camp at 3700 m elevation. You will then trek to 4500 m. The high altitude may cause shortness of breath so hydration is important.
After a 6 – 7 hour trek you will reach Siding Village in the high camp. And the final 2 -3 hours trek to Lumre is your last trek. We will then take you back to Pokhara.
- ALTITUDE SICKNESS:
Trekking on Mardi Himal will take you to an altitude of 4,500 meters that can cause altitude sickness. The first sign to identify altitude sickness is shortness of breath. Additionally, feeling of weakness, diarrhea, and insomnia will follow.
One needs to be careful because even a physically fit people can fall victim to Acute Mountain Sickness due to low atmospheric pressure and oxygen level. Many trekkers have lost their lives to altitude sickness.
- ACCOMMODATION & FOOD:
The hotels and lodges are a bit pricey in Pokhara and Kathmandu but the teahouses are quite affordable during the treks. There is also no difficulty in getting all the accommodations but pre-booking can be really helpful in getting the best deals.
As you will gain the altitude, the options for accommodation becomes more limited and so does the service.
While trekking in most of the regions in Nepal, you will find ‘Dal-Bhaat’ as a staple meal as it fills better and also cost less. Other then that, you will find curries, momos, bakery items, Coffee, tea, hot lemon. At higher altitude, the price of the same food items can cost you more expensive and menu can also get limited because of the transportation cost.
Mardi Himal trek being a trek in the Himalayan region, the weather can turn unpredictable. However, Autumn (mid-September to early December) and Spring (February to April) is considered as the perfect time to go on trek here.
Whereas, in December and January the temperature gets very cold and can get to -16 degree-celsius or less lesser than that, which makes it tough to trek. Moreover, the passes can get blocked due to avalanche or heavy snowfall.
And, May to mid- September is the monsoon period in Nepal, which is not a good time to trek in the Mardi Himal.
FEW DETAILS & TIPS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE TREK
- If you are looking for a short off-the-beaten-path then a package of 6 days is suitable for you. You can have plenty of time to enjoy the trek and the views. This package is short yet gives you enough time to enjoy the journey.
- If you have difficulty and want no rush in your journey then feel free to choose between 7 to 10 days package. It will give you enough time to explore and trek with ease.
- If you are a professional and want to do it fast then 4 or 5 days trek is perfect for you. Yes, it is possible and you can still have the chance to witness a spectacular view of mountain ranges from the viewpoint.
- The highest point to spend the night is 3580 m. There will not be any problems of altitude because you won’t be spending so much time on the higher elevations.
- Mardi Himal Trek can be pretty much done around the year but the best time is around spring and autumn season. If you want, you can do it whenever you want with all the necessary essentials.
- It is better if you pre-book everything. It will save up your time and money. It also makes your accommodations available just in case the places get packed.
- Buying mineral waters all the time can be expensive. So if you invest in a water bottle and purification tablets, it will be much more practical and efficient.
- Renting is an alternative if you want to save up. Buying trekking gears will cost a lot of money. You can opt for renting items like trekking stick, tents, sleeping bags, etc.
- There will also be expenses on other factors. They can be having access to the internet, hot showers and charging your electrical appliances. These will cost you money on an hourly basis.
The Mardi Himal trek is a perfect getaway for a beginner as well as experienced trekkers alike. It provides an amazing experience and stunning views of mountains, forests, and the rural villages of Nepal. Furthermore, the trek is a short one and doable for anyone with a little bit of preparation.
The experience is a lifetime kind of experience. The trek is perfect for nature lovers who want to experience nature and love to trek. The difficulty level of any trek depends on a lot of things, be sure to focus on your strong aspects and go accordingly. This way you will be able to make the best out of the trek.